The Director of Sustainability and Energy will work with managers, employees, customers, and stakeholders and their hotels within the portfolio to develop and address the organizations approach to environmental responsibility with the goal to meet the company’s intended impact.
responsibilities + authorities
- Lead demand-side and supply-side energy and utility management programs, including data capture, benchmarking, utility bill payments, utility savings programs, energy/environmental recognition and certification programs, program reporting and deregulated supply contracts
- Proactively analyze PM Hotel Group’s energy usage, costs, and variances
- Manage transition process of utility accounts for new incoming hotels and divested hotels.
- Lead and manage third party vendors and national account partners, as required, setting clear expectations, accountability, data analysis and reporting.
- Periodically visit and audit properties as part of continuous improvement initiatives
- Contribute to and participate in company-wide training and engagement activities
- Manage other departmental tasks and initiatives, as assigned
- Subject matter expert for PM Hotel Group for all aspects of energy and sustainability matters, including emissions, energy, water, waste, and workforce engagement programs
- Provides leadership, process, technology platforms and strategies to assist properties to minimize consumption/expenses and increase profitability
- Oversee the utility budgeting process annually and create and manage utility reporting for management-level presentation
- Streamline existing reporting capabilities, including processes and technologies, and investigate new technologies to support process improvement
- Analyze accounting records and data for operating costs and variance reports
- Identify and explain reasons for unexpected increases whether monetary or energy consumption related and work with local teams to resolve, as needed
- Identify opportunities to improve overall bottom line of utility expenditures
- Coach corporate and hotel teams on programs and guide them through the implementation and continuous improvement phases
- Champion ongoing continuous improvement of all energy programs across organization
- Ensure team members receive proper training applicable to their position
- Support, comply and promote company initiative, policies, and guidelines
- Leading with Passion
- Responsible for ensuring success through the eyes of employees, guests, and owners
- Utilize and collaborate with resources across different departments and corporate office
- Capable of influencing employees to perform to their highest standard and establishing a trusting environment to enrich the culture
- Focus on the mission and well-being of the department, hotel, and company as a whole
- Lead by example and operate with integrity and respect
- Demonstrated ability to present complex data to facilitate analysis and decision-making
- Provide technical analysis and review of energy conservation and sustainability projects and programs, identify risks and opportunities, make recommendations for continuous improvement, and communicate findings with program stakeholders
- Work within PM Hotel Group’s energy procurement strategy and with our broker to advise on supply deals accordingly, to align with company objectives.
- Plan and revise PM Hotel Group’s execution strategy as market changes dictate.
- Develops strategy for value-add energy conservation and sustainability programs across portfolio, with the ability to develop and present the business case for new programs
- Coordinates sustainability efforts in conjunction with brand programs.
- Drive forward-thinking operational improvements and property/portfolio level through the identification and implementation of energy and sustainability initiatives via hands-on coaching and teamwork
- Update and implement systems, procedures, and work practices to ensure “audit-ready” state of compliance with company and regulatory agency policies including federal, state, and local regulations
- Create and distribute sustainability engagement content at a regular cadence that promotes workforce engagement across energy conservation and sustainability initiatives
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and able to clearly present program plans and updates to senior management and ownership representatives on key programs and initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to present complex data to facilitate analysis and decision-making
- Excellent work ethic based on self-confidence, integrity, taking initiative, and personal responsibility. You enjoy driving continuous improvement and working to fulfill strategic visions.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, team-centered and results and deadline-driven environment while managing multiple concurrent and complex projects
- Must be a team player working well with other departments and co-workers to achieve deliverables in a timely manner
- Self-starter who is motivated and anticipates researching unfamiliar topics to adapt and learn in a quick changing environment
- Must be organized and able to complete work with extreme attention to detail
- Positive, creative, innovative approach to problem solving and the ability to exercise judgment and discretion
- Spanish language skills are a plus
- High Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications, especially Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Microsoft Teams,
- Experience with Smartsheet’s, Project Management Software, Prior experience in Engie a plus or any other Sustainability reporting platform
- Periodic travel required approximately 10-20%
- This is not a remote position.
- Appropriate professional appearance and demeanor
- Bachelor’s degree required Ideal degrees are Energy, Environmental, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, or related field
- Minimum 2+ years of direct experience in managing corporate energy and sustainability programs including emissions/energy/water/waste tracking and reduction, ideally in a hospitality building setting
- Deep knowledge of utility deregulation strategies and rate structures, market trends, cost, availability, and distribution of utilities
- Proven track record of implementing and monitoring energy conservation & sustainability programs across a national portfolio, and of delivering exceptional support to colleagues, clients, customers and/or guests
- Strong working knowledge of building systems, e.g., lighting, HVAC, controls, etc. and energy analyses for building systems
about pm hotel group:
Awards + Accolades:
- Recognized as a Best Place to Work in Hospitality as seen in Hotel Business (2019)
- Fastest Growing Private Companies in DC – Washington Business Journal (2020 + 2019)
- Inc 5000 – Fastest Growing Private Hospitality Companies (2019)
- AHLA Paving the Way Award 2021 – Vanessa Stanley
PM is PEOPLE-POWERED:
At PM Hotel Group we are passionate about fostering an environment that allows our associates to thrive. Creating a culture dedicated to respect, teamwork, entrepreneurial spirit, and the drive to succeed, we encourage our associates to express themselves and their unique talents. We celebrate diversity and are passionate about equity and inclusion.
A top-15 hotel management company, PM Hotel Group has over two decades of experience building relationships with brands, partners, and third-party hotel owners. We know that our greatest resource is our people, and this people-first mindset is at the heart of our corporate DNA.
This description excludes non-essential and marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of the fundamental job duties. Furthermore, the specific examples in each section are not intended to be all-inclusive. Rather, they represent the typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully. Other job-related duties may be assigned by the associate’s supervisor.
Furthermore, this description is subject to change, at the sole discretion of the Company, and in no way creates an employment contract, implied or otherwise; each associate remains, always, an “at will” associate.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)