WHAT YOU’LL DO
We’re looking for an analytical and detail-oriented controller to join our finance team. You will be responsible for overseeing, directing, and administering all financial operations of the hotels in your portfolio; continuing effort to deliver outstanding guest service and financial profitability.
This individual will reside in the Washington DC area. This is a hybrid position that will require 2 days/week on-site and 3 days/week remote work. This is an exempt position that reports to the Regional Director of Finance.
WHO WE ARE
- Passionate – about hospitality and fostering an environment where associates will thrive.
- Culture driven – dedicated to respect, teamwork, an entrepreneurial spirit, and the drive to succeed.
- Unique – we encourage our associates to express themselves and their individual talents. We celebrate diversity and are committed to equity and inclusion.
- Innovators – we are a lifestyle hotel management company that is constantly evolving. We are open-minded individuals who embrace change.
- A growing team looking to expand with authentic and genuine individuals who recognize the importance of team engagement.
- A company that has a culture of promoting from within.
- Recognized as a Top Workplace in The Washington Post and Philadelphia Inquirer over the past 9 years.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Prepare and review financial statements, budgets, and forecasts for multiple properties, ensuring accuracy and compliance with accounting standards and company policies.
- Collaborate with property managers to develop and manage annual budgets and financial forecasts for each property. Monitor variances and make recommendations for corrective actions.
- Manage cash flow for the properties, including revenue collection, vendor payments, and other financial transactions. Ensure that sufficient funds are available to meet property needs.
- Maintain accurate financial records and ensure compliance with relevant accounting standards and regulations. Oversee the timely and accurate processing of accounts payable and receivable.
- Conduct financial analysis, including ROI calculations, cost-benefit analysis, and performance metrics, to provide insights and support decision-making for property management.
- Implement and maintain strong internal controls to safeguard assets and prevent fraud.
- Continuously assess and improve financial processes.
- Ensure accurate and timely tax filings for the properties. Prepare necessary financial reports for property owners and stakeholders.
- Communicate regularly with property owners, investors, and other stakeholders to provide financial updates, answer inquiries, and address concerns.
- Prepare financial information and documentation for internal and external audits. Work with auditors to ensure a smooth audit process.
- Complete all month-end closing responsibilities, ensuring all deadlines are met and financial statements are issued on time.
- Development and implementation of business processes, maintaining strong internal controls for hotel properties.
- Ensure compliance with all Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Serve as financial advisor to hotel management and ownership.
- Monitor and approve all sales, purchases, salaries, and expenses of the hotel.
- Assist and counsel operations leaders in the interpretation and analysis of financial data, recommending courses of action to maximize hotel profitability.
- Prepare annual plan, projections, and budgets.
- Monitor and develop direct reports, including, but not limited to, providing supervision and professional development, scheduling, conducting counseling and evaluations and rewards/recognition.
- Influence and collaborate with hotel operations and shared services teams (sales, marketing, revenue management, people & culture), taking ownership for desired results through partnership.
- Champion our values, vision, and culture.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE
- 5-7 years of experience in hotel accounting. Hotel/lodging corporate accounting experience and multi-property experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Finance, or a related field (Master’s degree or CPA certification a plus).
- Proven track record of successfully achieving financial results and can articulate the underlying strategies that led to the success.
- Strong knowledge of financial reporting standards and property management software.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and financial modeling.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Team-first mindset – a desire to collaborate and share information.
- Knowledge of property tax regulations and real estate laws is a plus.
- Entrepreneurial mindset – be proactive and review performance from both a hotel and ownership perspective.
- Positive attitude, despite changing market conditions and circumstances.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
- Generous health, dental and vision insurance, plus 401K, all available on day 1!
- Comprehensive onboarding and training plan to set you up for success.
- Coaching, feedback, and mentorship to develop your individual role and career goals.
- Leadership courses to improve your personal and interpersonal effectiveness.
- Generous PTO package and 9 paid holidays.
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities.
- Paid Parental Leave.
- Tuition reimbursement opportunities – when you grow, we grow!
Bachelors or better in Accounting or related field.
5-7 years: Hotel Accounting Experience
ABOUT MODUS BY PM HOTEL GROUP
NON-NEGOTIABLES (OUR CORE VALUES)
- BE WILDLY PASSIONATE. Inspire others with your thirst for excellence.
- BE CURIOUS. Learn rapidly and eagerly.
- BE INNOVATIVE. Create new ideas that prove useful.
- EMBRACE CHANGE. Remain agile, flexible and nimble to thrive in an evolving world.
- COMMUNICATE. Listen with the intent to understand. Share all relevant information.
- HAVE INTEGRITY. Be honest and straightforward with everyone.
- USE GOOD JUDGMENT. Make wise decisions, even in the face of ambiguity.
- BUILD A POSITIVE TEAM. Learn from one another and help each other to be great.
- SERVE OTHERS. Our guests, community, and each other. Be a part of the bigger picture.
- LIVE 360. Practice work-life balance.
As part of an organizational culture that embraces change and progress, this job description does not seek to limit the tasks and responsibilities of the position. Rather, it acts as a springboard for future career and personal development within the property team and entire Modus Hotels’ community.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We actively respect the right of any qualified individual who performs to Modus standards to work. Discrimination based on gender, age, race, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other characteristic not related to performance, ability or attitude protected by state or federal law, is disrespectful, bad business and won’t be tolerated. It’s also illegal.
Modus by PM Hotel Group will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
This description is subject to change, at the sole discretion of the Company, and in no way creates an employment contract, implied or otherwise; each associate remains, at all times, an “at will” associate.
While this is a salaried position, be prepared to accommodate varying schedules including nights, weekends, and holidays, as required. This position will require moving self in different positions to accomplish tasks in various environments. The position may require moving greater than 50% of the time.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)